Thursday, November 08, 2007

Quack Attack






I am what some people might call a quack-a-holic. I love to duck hunt. It is one of my most favorite things to do. Just the thought of duck hunting sets my heart to pumping. However there a few items you will need before going duck hunting.

Burr I Said It's Cold Out Here
The most important thing, besides your gun, is warm clothing. You will be miserable and you will probably never want to go duck hunting again if you get out there and freeze. To protect yourself from getting cold here is what you should wear. Your clothing will consist of three layers. The bottom layer should be long johns. Your second layer should be a pair of long pants, a sweat shirt, and wool socks. The third and final layer should be a light jacket, a heavy jacket, and waders. As my dad always says you can take it off but you can't put it on.

Take Em
My favorite part of duck hunting is seeing the ducks work the decoys. For them to work the decoys you have to have some decoys. Greenhead Gear makes some of the prettiest decoys I have ever seen. To get ducks interested in the decoys you need to have some duck calls. If you are a beginner I would suggest a double reeded call. They are easier to blow than a single reed and ducks respond to them. I like the Primos Wrench. I could just never get the hang of blowing a duck call until last Christmas when my parents got me a Wrench.

Bada Bing Bada Boom
Here comes my favorite part the shotgun. The most common used gauge is a 12 gauge. I shoot a Benelli Nova. Now let me tell you it is a workhorse. That gun has seen more mud and dirt than any other gun I have and it is still going strong. There is only one problem with it and that is that it is a pump. I plan to get a Beretta Xtrema 2 this spring. From what I have heard the Beretta's are just as reliable, but I am kind of uncertain. If you have any advice for me please comment.

Kablamo Goes The Ammo
To kill ducks you have to have the right ammo. For timber ducks I like number 4s. If I am hunting on a lake of somewhere open I like number 2s. With number 2s you have bigger shot and with bigger shot comes more knockdown power. I also prefer 3 inch shells. Some people will tell you that you need 3 and one half inch shells. Let me tell you something if you can not kill them with 3 inch shells you are shooting at them to far away or more commonly known as sky busting. Nothing ticks me off worse than a boat full of sky busters. when you shoot at them high up you wound more than you kill. One of my biggest problems with duck shells is the cost. I some brands cost close to twenty dollars a box so I shoot Kent Faststeels. They are cheap and they are a good shell. I have been shooting them for three years and I have never had a problem with them.

1 comment:

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

I love your titles. Your writing style is very easy to read and is humorous also. I've even learned something about duck hunting. Wow! Great job!